Social Media - How Much Is Too Much?

     As I write this post I am reminded that today I was supposed to tell you about my stainless steel curbside find. Well obviously that isn't finished but I promise to update you soon. It's not going well though. Heads up - don't use 60 grit sandpaper on galvanized metal or you may not have any galvanized in your metal left! LOL....Anywho so social media it is.

     I have a problem with my laptop. I think I am connected to it. I KNOW I am connected to it. And not in a good way.  I LOVE social media. First off let's define what social media is ....

     ..."Social media includes web- and mobile-based technologies which are used to turn communication into interactive dialogue among organizations, communities, and individuals. Andreas Kaplan and Michael Haenlein define social media as "a group of Internet-based applications that build on the ideological and technological foundations of Web 2.0, and that allow the creation and exchange of user-generated content."[1] I.e. Social Media are social software which mediate human communication. When the technologies are in place, social media is ubiquitously accessible, and enabled by scalable[clarification needed] communication techniques. In the year 2012, social media became one of the most powerful sources for news updates through platforms like Twitter and Facebook." (source) social media

     WHOA...."powerful sources", that term scares me just a little. Considering we all check our phones, email, facebook status, pinterest account, etc., etc., several times a day this social media thing can be very powerful and time consuming. I think back to the days when I was a secretary for a large company and it seems as though I spend as much time as my 8 hour secretarial days checking and responding, replying, pinnning, blogging, LOOKING, Googling and commenting as I did at work. So is this social media thing harming us or helping us? 

    I look around some days and see lots and lots of people heads down and eyes zoned on their phones little tiny screens trying to be connected to all those out there on their social media sites and I think to myself why not just be happy with being connected to that person sitting next to you who is supposed to be enjoying your company. It pains me and makes me feel nauseated to realize that some days, most days, this is me. I am also that person glued to my phone. I try to remember this as I am out with family and friends. I recently had a visit from a cousin who lives far far away in South Africa. I don't get to see him very often and we get along very well and I have a lot of fun with him. I enjoy his company and things he has to say. So it was a wake-up for me when we were sitting in a cafe in Las Vegas and I was intently staring at my phone screen and he said to me, quite forcefully, put that thing AWAY! What? Me? Who are you talking to? LOL Yes you! And he said this more than once. So obviously he thought that more than the few times he actually verbalized that thought to me. 

     So what to do? How do we limit our time on this social media whirlwhind, timesucker thingy? Especially when there are so many things to look up, google, connect, respond, comment to? I have no idea. And that's partially why I'm writing this piece. How do you limit your time on this social media thingy? And am I even talking about the right thing? I know I'm not the only one. Can you be addicted to Google? Googling???? Is there a rehab for this? Do I need rehab for this? LOL...this is weird. Especially since I so resisted getting a cell phone so many years ago. I did NOT want to be contacted at any moment when any person felt like they needed to know my whereabouts. And not because I'm some secret agent man. Because I screen my phone calls at home. I'm very hard to get a hold of and some days, most days, I like it that way. I felt, I feel an invasion of privacy. An invasion on my time. I like to be alone. Thus, this is probably why I struggle DAILY with the battle of depression. Because I SO ENJOY my time alone.  Anywho, again, I am getting off topic. 

      "Technology is creating a lot more time-wasting in the workplace," Pychyl says. "You Google something you're thinking about or decide you'll only take a minute to check out Facebook. The problem for people who are easily distracted or who procrastinate is that it's like someone with a gambling problem moving to Las Vegas. It's a hard temptation to resist."source Wow...I really resonate with that quote.

    "While Pychyl says that we all need a break from work every once in a while to recharge our batteries, surfing online at work "is a huge slippery slope" for those who have a problem staying on task or avoiding work they dislike." source

     And that one. Now I'm not at a proper work place yet I do consider myself to be working throughout the day as a Stay At Home Mom. So how much time do I get to be on my laptop and peruse, browse the internet, facebook, pinterest, blogs and the like? How much time do you allow yourself? I'm curious to know.

     In fact I like that whole article. If you resonate with this post then you should probably check it out. It then goes on to talk about limiting time and if you can't you can download an app that will help track how much time you spend and where. Wow...don't know if I WANT to know. 

Thoughts? Comments? Tips?

Now I must go and get my 6 year-old off MineCrafter.....LOL. I have a feeling this limiting computer time is going to be a battle I'm not the only one battling and it will be with us for the rest of our lives. Maybe not so LOL

Be Blessed...

Comments

  1. Sometimes Lisa i am surprised by how alike we are! This really strikes a chord with me ... Scary .... Will we forget how to have real relationships with people? Lol I too struggle to limit my boys 'screen time' a daily battle.... I dread to think how much time I spend looking at a screen ! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali, It seems as though a lot of moms feel this way. My dad has mentioned that in the future we won't have any mouths because we will only communicate via machine. Thanks for your reply! xoxo

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to know your thoughts. Please leave a comment below.

Popular Posts