On The Bench

When a jeweler has a piece of jewelry she's working on it's referred to as "on the bench". So here's what I have on the bench in the way of cool new stuff for the shop.
Cake Plates! While browsing around the thrift store a few weeks ago with my mother-in-law she told me about how she used to make cake plates and sell them at her little cafe. She then proceeded to point out different pieces you can use to assemble the top and bottom.


These are from the cutest blog you can find here At Home With The Farmers Wife .

These pretty cake plates are from this super crafty mom from my neck of the woods, she can be found here.

Another cute blogger who has made them can be found here.

I wish I would have found all of these blogs before I went out and tackled this one on my own. I think I bought about 10 different kind of glues for this project. The best glue so far is a silicone glue I bought  at Home Depot. It also helps if you roughen up the pedestal part that glues to the plate. I had a glass file laying around that I used for that. I'm sure you could probably use any kind of file though. I've also made some out of silverplate and I found that E6000 works nicely for that. But for glass on glass the silicone works the best. I haven't had chance to use my cakeplates yet but I'm sure it won't take long for a cake to be made around here (considering who I'm married to and all).

Comments

  1. Thanks for stopping by with your comment!

    You ask about doing shows as opposed to doing a shop. Well this will be the third time I've done the show here with a friend of mine, it's "A LOT" of hard work, but yes I think it's worth it and it's fun, we've meet so many really nice dealers. We plan to continue doing them and are thinking about doing one out of state?? Good luck if you decide to do it!

    Cheryl~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great timing! I have been collecting glass pieces and was in Michaels yesterday looking at glue. They have the prettiest jeweled votives that I am using on silver and crystal candlesticks. On to the cake plates! P.S., I'm looking for a Santos to keep for myself. I haven't found it yet, but I know it's out there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to know your thoughts. Please leave a comment below.

Popular Posts